Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Over watering your plants?

Add to Technorati Favorites
I bought started growing gardenia as a houseplant 3 months ago and while two of the shrubs have done well, one of the shrubs is not showing any new growth and its bottom leaves are turning yellow. The same with my rosemary where my tiny green leaves are wilting away. And I realized that the issue was that of overwatering. Everytime I left for a trip I overwatered my plants, I water them every other day even though the soil is moist at the top.

In terms of providing an example, you can see how my plant has lost leaves at the lower level of its stem, the second pictures shows you another leaf that has turned yellow and the third picture shows you the leaves that have turned yellow and fallen. I am hoping that I will be able to turn this plant around.

















To address the issue, I read up on it and found a great article on signs of plants affected by too much watering. The link for the article is as follows:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/signs-of-plants-affected-by-too-much-water.htm

Another article around watering indoor plants, quiet helpful published by Clemson Extension school: http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1459.htm

Also as per my prior blog use a soil moisture meter to check the moisture level and water accordingly.

Happy Planting, stop over watering.

No comments: