Friday, November 30, 2007

Introducing a new herb on my window - Cilantro

Add to Technorati Favorites
As my Basil continues to grow happy and wild, I am introducing a new herb Istarted growing around the same time. Its called Cilantro if you are fromthe west and Coriander if you are from the east.If you come from any Asian, Middle Eastern or Latin American country, youknow what I am talking about. Cilantro it looks a bit like Parsley buttastes much sweeter and is used extensively in cooking in India, LatinAmerica, China and Thailand. I haven¹t seen it used much in Korean orJapanese food so far. Better known in Southwest Asia as ³coriander², itderives its name from Latin term ³coriandrum². It tastes great in soups,salsa, guacamole and is sprinkled on top of most curries in India for itsflavor and sweet smell.While the delicate and ornamental plant is completely edible, the freshleaves and dried seeds are most commonly used in cooking.

My experience with growing Cilantro indoors:
Just like I started growing Basil, I used some dried coriander seeds (easilyavailable in bulk in a any grocery store, as it is extensively used incooking) and sowed them in my Jiffy Pellets. Unlike the Basil, my cilantroseeds did not show a lot of promise right away. Till date they have grown alittle, but not as fast as Basil. It could be wrong time in the year for it.But I think its more to do with the fact that I sowed around four to fiveseeds in 1 inch diameter, this could have too little space that hasconstrained the growth.To experiment when I transplanted my plant (in the Jiffy Pellet) to a pot, I sowed some seeds independently in the soil, just to compare. The seeds I sowed separately have shown tremendous growth right away, because they werewell spaced. The seeds sown separately germinated faster (keep the soilmoist at all times) with little care and today I have seen signs of theactual cilantro leaves getting produced. It¹s a very happy moment ascilantro leaves are very beautiful in shape and delicate in form.

Tips on growing cilantro seeds indoors:
Use a 5² diameter pot, add well drain soil and sow dried cilantro seeds 1.5cms below surface. Add lots of water and make sure it drains out. Cover thepot with a shrink wrap and leave it in a dark cool corner of your kitchencounter top. Keep a watch and add water every other day to ensure the soilis moist. Soon you will see the little pointed green leaves appearing. Oncethese surface, remove the wrap and move the pot to a sunny window. Watereveryday.

No comments: