Monday, November 12, 2007

Growing plants in your NYC apartment

Add to Technorati Favorites

I love plants and I live in an apartment in New York. So when I moved to the city in June of 2007 I knew that I had to figure out a way to make plants live in my NYC apartment environment. New York is a Zone 6 and the first frost date is 4/13 and last frost date is 10/27. I knew I was late but I had to bring in some plants. I love growing herbs as it has a real utility besides looking pretty and smelling great. Having bought herb plants before and not succeeding at keeping them alive indoors, I knew that growing from seeds was a better option. I bought the following seeds:

1) Basil
2) Coriander
3) Mint
4) Calendula
5) Lavender

I planted them in October around the frost date and I was expecting very little success. But surprisingly Basil grew fast and has had a healthy growth since. Calendula seems to not be getting enough humidity indoors, so while it germinated fast, its leaves have had a very short life. The others are not doing that well, but there is some progress in terms of germination, the growth has not been as sporadic as Basil. So New Yorkers, get some Basil seeds and some jiffy pellets and get to enjoy fresh basil year around.

* Click here to check your frost date: http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/ny.html

No comments: